History Archive

 
Here you can access snippets of Twerton history from different sources. Note that there is more historical content on this website under the Articles and Photos sections.
 

The Parish of Twerton as seen in the Vicars’ Reviews

 
By 1922 the Twerton Parish had three Anglican Churches serving the people. Every year, the churches held a joint meeting in which the Vicar’s Review described the challenges faced in Twerton. Summarised in the articles below, the Vicars’ Reviews unfold their own moving story of Twerton and the church.
 
Article on the Vicars’ Reviews for 1922 to 1929. Click here.
 
Article on the Vicars’ Reviews for 1930 to 1939. Click here.
 
Article on the Vicars’ Reviews for 1941 to 1949. Click here.
 

Twerton News, a community newspaper, 1965 to 1977

 
Twerton News is a resource that tells us a lot about Twerton in the 1960s and 1970s. On this website, snippets from Twerton News are grouped into three categories:
 
Responding to change in Twerton
Community life in Twerton
Historical articles on Twerton
 
NOTE: Many of the snippets will appear as a jpeg image and you may need to enlarge the image in order to read the text more clearly. Left-click on a image to do this.
 

Responding to change in Twerton

 

1965: Efforts to address accident black spots in Twerton. With photo. Click here.
 
1965: Interesting photo of the construction of Ellen House and Linne House. In the distance is the ‘first’ Redland Park Estate that consisted of pre-fab bungalows before the new houses were built. Click here.
 
1965: A response to attitudes in the newly built estates and the talk of the need for a community centre. Click here.
 
1966: Another update on the flood prevention scheme. References to former buildings and evidence that the Archway Cafe kiosk once stood by the old city centre bridge. Click here.
 
1966: Commentary on the use of pre-fabs and new building projects in post-war Twerton. Click here.
 
1968: An appeal to save the allotments that existed on ground now covered by the Lansdown View Estate. Click here.
 
1969: News that the Somerset & Dorset viaduct at East Twerton was to be dismantled, and history of Isobel Spence’s work in East Twerton. With photo. Click here.
 
1969: A summary of how Twerton was placed at the beginning of 1969. Click here.
 
1969: Changes that were coming to Twerton in 1969. Click here.
 
1972: The Twerton Methodist and Baptist churches considered merging in order to better serve Twerton. Click here.
 
1973: Fencing off the GWR railway at Carrs Wood and the Somerset & Dorset railway by King George’s Road. Click here.
 
1975: Reporting the loss of Holvey’s shop at Charlton Buildings and the retirement of Miss Crook from selling milk. Click here.
 
1977: The Twerton churches reacted against policies to increase heavy traffic along the Lower Bristol Road. Click here.
 
1965: An overview of the different parts of the parish of Twerton and reflections on changes that were taking place. Click here.
 
1965: Plan by the Twerton churches to designate groups to care for each area of the Twerton Parish. With map. In two parts: one and two.
 
1965: Brief update on the flood prevention scheme, with photo of the site of the demolished Cook’s Factory. Click here.
 
1966: The Buchanan Report: discusses issues around Twerton such as traffic on the Lower Bristol Road, as well as the need to preserve Carrs Wood and what are today the fields of Bath City Farm. Click here.
 
1967: Poolemead Road finally gets a pavement added to it. With an interesting artist’s illustration. Click here.
 
1969: Councillor Ray Rosewarn’s discussion of how East Twerton was in special need of recreation areas. With photo. Click here.
 
1969: Councillor Potter’s views on the shortage of shops in West Twerton. Written before the opening of Bond Stores (today Costcutter) at Newton Road. Click here.
 
1969: Changes to take place around the Twerton Churchyard. With photo. Click here.
 
1972: Changes that were taking place in East Twerton. Click here.
 
1972: Comment concerning the then newly built estate at Lansdown View. With photo. Click here.
 
1973: A report on housing developments in Twerton, with some references to Whiteway as well. Click here.
 
1976: An appeal to the community to keep St Peter’s Church alive. With old pictures of East Twerton and the church. Click here.
 
1977: Vicar John Johnson’s resignation letter, with some description of changes that he had seen in Twerton. Click here.
 

Community life in Twerton

 

1965: St Peter’s Church Fete, held at East Twerton Infants School (today Oldfield Park Infants School). With photo. Click here.
 
1965: A glimpse into church life at the old St Peter’s Church, East Twerton. Click here.
 
1966: Whiteway Youth Club. Click here.
 
1967: Lovely old advertisement for the Twerton Service Station that used to be at Twerton High Street. Click here.
 
1967: Youth activities that had started up at the Twerton Vicarage. Click here.
 
1968: The Not So Young Club at St Peter’s Church. With photo. Click here.
 
1968: Church services at the Whiteway Community Centre. Click here.
 
1968: News and reflections from the former Baptist Church in Twerton. Click here.
 
1969: Things the Parish Social Committee were organising: mainly badminton and cricket. Click here.
 
1969: A piece about Miss Lord, Headmistress of the Infants School, with some basic history of the school. Click here.
 
1972: A presentation to Mr Wheeler, a Twerton teacher, with a photo of one of his football teams. In two parts: one and two.
 
1973: News about Cubs and Brownies in Twerton in 1973. Click here.
 
1973: A Twerton Brownie is awarded her Queen’s Guide Badge and Certificate. Interesting old photo. Click here.
 
1974: A write up on the Harvest Festival, with a photo of Twerton Infant School pupils about to distribute harvest produce to elderly people. Click here.
 
1975: Pupils at St Michael’s Junior School raise funds for the work of the Red Cross in the Vietnam War. With photo. Click here.
 
1976: The Twerton clergy oppose ideas of holding a Sunday Market in Twerton to raise funds for Bath City FC. Click here.
 
1976: Christian services were being held in the Whiteway Community Centre (today the Southside Centre). With a photo of the building as it was. Click here.
 
1976: Information about the Twerton Townswomen’s Guild. Click here.
 
1977: The Mother and Babies’ Club and the Senior Citizens’ Party in Twerton. With photos. Click here.
 
1977: Brief mention of the Harvest Festival held in the former Pitman Press building in East Twerton. Click here.
 
1965: A response to attitudes in the newly built estates and the talk of the need for a community centre. Click here.
 
1966: Bath City FC are promoted to the Premier Division of the Southern League. With an old photo of Twerton Park. In two parts: one and two.
 
1967: Activities that young people were doing around Twerton in 1967. In four parts: one, two, three and four.
 
1968: Article about the Child Welfare Clinic in Twerton. In two parts: one and two.
 
1968: Twerton clubs for pensioners in 1968. With an interesting illustration of the Whiteway Community Centre. Click here.
 
1968: What was there for ladies to do in Twerton in 1968? Click here.
 
1968: Sea Ranger from Twerton gets the Queen’s Guide Award. Click here.
 
1969: St Michael’s Youth Club on their annual Sponsored Walk to Wells. Click here.
 
1969: Information about Sunday Schools in 1969. Interesting that there was a Sunday School at the Whiteway Community Centre at this time. Click here.
 
1973: One of the many news updates on Twerton St Michael’s Table Tennis and AFC Football Teams. The Football Team had just beaten a Whiteway team 31-0! Click here.
 
1973: Nearly a hundred senior citizens attend the annual Senior Party in Twerton, at St Michael’s Junior School. With photo. Click here.
 
1974: Elderly people enjoy a Christmas Meal at Quebec. With photo. Click here.
 
1975: An old photo of Councillor Ray Rosewarn – the ‘Lion of Twerton’ – in his barber shop. After 40 years, he was about to leave the hairdressing trade to work in the Navy Department. Click here.
 
1976: Retirement of Ernie Hobbs – an old Twerton councillor and interesting figure in Twerton. With photo. Click here.
 
1976: An unusual photo of the hand bell ringing group that emerged from the church tower bell-ringers. They played at social functions. Click here.
 
1977: Celebrations held in Twerton to mark the Queen’s Silver Jubilee. Click here.
 
1977: Summary of the work of Sister Ivy, a Church Army worker who came to Twerton in the 1970s. Click here.
 
1977: Old photo of Ray Rosewarn and family, in news announcing that he had been elected Mayor of Bath. Click here.
 

Historical articles on Twerton

 

1965: Article on historical diseases in Twerton: plague, small pox, cholera and typhoid. Click here.
 
1965: Article about old age in times past in Twerton. In two parts: one and two.
 
1966: Article about East Twerton as it used to be, with photo of Pitman’s Phoenetic Institute. In three parts: one, two and three.
 
1967: Very interesting photo of the “Pitman Church” where Isaac Pitman gave his sermons. It stood at the former Prospect Buildings, near the railway arch at Twerton High Street. Click here.
 
1967: An article about the horse bus in Twerton. Click here.
 
1967: An old photo of How Hill with cottages that were demolished in 1902, making room for the expansion of the Twerton churchyard. Click here.
 
1967: A photo the ‘New Bridge’ with a tram passing over it in 1939. Click here.
 
1967: Recollections of the old tram services to and from Twerton. With photo. Click here.
 
1968: Records from the old School-Church in East Twerton. (This is the small building beside the former St Peter’s Church, near the Regency Cleaners.) Click here.
 
1968: Article on the history of Stothert and Pitt. In three parts: one, two and three.
 
1968: A 19th century story about gas lighting in Twerton. In two parts: one and two.
 
1969: An article about Dutchmen who came to Twerton from the 17th century onwards. Click here.
 
1969: A piece about Miss Lord, Headmistress of the Infants School, with some basic history of the school. Click here.
 
1969: The origins and history of Rackfield Place in Twerton. Click here.
 
1972: Memoirs of an aged Twertonian recorded in 1972. Click here.
 
1972: Two prominent Twerton figures: Allan Langdon and Elspeth Carr. Click here.
 
1974: Information and photos that show how the West End of Twerton has changed. In two parts: one and two.
 
1974: Old photos of previous riverside buildings. Cook’s Factory, the Logwood Mills (formerly the Brass Mills) and the Twerton boating station. Click here.
 
1975: A sketch of the Turnpike Cottage that once stood at the fork of the Lower Bristol Road and the Newbridge Road. Click here.
 
1976: A photo of The Twerton Girls Friendly Society taken in about 1919. Click here.
 
1976: Several old photos showing how the River Avon in Twerton looked in Edwardian times. Click here.
 
1977: A 1922 photo of a class of children at Twerton Parochial School. Click here.
 
1977: A piece on the Flower Show which used to be held in the grounds of Wood House, where Woodhouse Road is today. With various photos of the attractions. In two parts: one and two.
 
1977: A description of what we would see if travelling through Twerton more than a century ago. With photos. In three parts: one, two, three and four.
 

1965: Article about the tradition of the Twerton Revels which dates back to the Middle Ages. Click here.
 
1966: The railway viaduct and tunnel that Brunel built in Twerton. With pictures. In two parts: one and two.
 
1966: Article on the Roman Fosseway and its relevance to Twerton. Click here.
 
1967: History of the old Zion Methodist Chapel, with interesting photo. Click here.
 
1967: A history of Twerton Parochial School and its successor, St Michael’s Junior School. Click here.
 
1967: An old photo of the Twerton Village Pound. Click here.
 
1967: Article on the Blackmore and Langdon Nurseries (where Blackmore Drive and Langdon Road are now). Click here.
 
1967: Article about William Stokes Shaw who was a major influence in Twerton in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Click here.
 
1968: Extracts from Twerton Baptist records that raise interesting questions. Click here.
 
1968: History of a football team that has its roots in the late 19th century, with a photo of Alfred Cox the founder. Click here.
 
1968: Twerton in the days of Nelson and Napoleon. Click here.
 
1968 – 1969: Old photos of St Peter’s Church, East Twerton: one, two and three.
 
1969: News that the Somerset & Dorset viaduct at East Twerton was to be dismantled, and history of Isobel Spence’s work in East Twerton. With photo. Click here.
 
1969: An article on the bells and bell-ringers at St Michael’s Church. Click here.
 
1972: The history of the Poolemead Centre with photos. In two parts: one and two.
 
1972: Brief reference to the paper mill that once existed in Twerton. Click here.
 
1973: Article about Fielding’s Lodge in Twerton, where Henry Fielding wrote Tom Jones. Click here.
 
1974: An early photo of Newton Road taken long before the modern houses were built. Click here.
 
1974: Information about Mr Gatehouse who was a central figure at St Peter’s Church, East Twerton. With photos. Click here.
 
1975: Discussion of the history of the textiles industry in Bath and Twerton. With an old photo of Carr’s Bridge. Click here.
 
1976: Old Twerton: Photos of the High Street and W & T Lock Cabinet Makers. Click here.
 
1977: Two old photos of East Twerton: Dorset Street and the laying of tram rails on the Lower Bristol Road. Click here.
 
1977: An old photo of the original Ascension Church in South Twerton. Click here.
 
1977: Some photos of the old Twerton Parochial School, which stood near where MacDonalds is in Twerton today. Click here.
 
1977: A little bit of history with pictures about the vicarages in Twerton. Click here.
 
1977: A photo of the St Michael’s Football Team, with the names of the players, dating to about 1910. Click here.
 

 

Other resources

 

Documents

 

• Pamphlet on the history of Twerton sourced from Reginald Naish. Click here.
 
• Effects of the Second World War on the church and community. Click here.
 
• Information sheet on the history of Roundhill. Click here.
 
• 1910-1914: Why was the church at Twerton freezing cold? Click here.
 

Pictures

 

• Photo of East Twerton Council School that is today Oldfield Infants School. Click here.
 
• Twerton on Avon Boating Club at the Somerset Carnival. Click here.
 
• Chivers’ Works which used to be at Albany Road. Click here.
 
• Bath Cabinet Makers, Bellotts Road, c. 1890. Click here.
 
• The Carr family opening Innox Park in 1909. Click here.
 
• Part of the Blackmore and Langdon Nursery in the 1970s, where houses of Blackmore Drive are today. Click here.
 
• Carr’s Factory on Fire in 1981. Click here.
 
• Fielding’s Lodge which stood near the Golden Fleece Pub. Click here.
 
• Plaque Ceremony to mark Henry Fielding’s writing of his book Tom Jones at Fielding’s Lodge. Click here.